Food scales, or kitchen scales as they are also known, have become an important addition to the kitchen these days. And for good reason too. They are extremely useful and have a lot of applications in our modern society where almost everyone is a fitness enthusiast and wants to invest in the betterment of their health. Even for those who are not interested in the health benefits of this product, can and do use this piece of equipment for measuring their ingredients when cooking complex food items. In fact, this is a permanent fixture in many professional kitchens and even in the homes of amateurs who only rely on the scale to get their recipe right. So food scales are very useful once one starts using them and they are available with a variety of features and the users are free to choose the best one that fits their needs and specifications. The most common types of kitchen scales available today are the digital ones which are more accurate than their analog counterparts.
Why get a food scale?
With the advent of technology, our lifestyle has changed for the most part. It has been good. There is less effort required for completing any given task. Scales were mostly used for industrial reasons back in the day. But as time passed, people realized that they can be put to better use in our homes and kitchens. So when modern day weighing scales came into the picture, the slightly compacts and smaller version of them, the kitchen scale also followed.
It is true that they were not a norm even a decade ago. But the digital scales are probably a huge section of the kitchen equipment market today. The reason why it is important to get a kitchen or why it actually makes your life easier is that it basically helps you keep track of your recipe and makes sure that there is no room for error. Following the recipe accurately has been definitely made easier by the presence food scales. The fact that they can be used to measure smaller weights is another reason why they are a good addition to our homes. Usual weighing scales only start at around two pounds and cannot weigh any amount smaller than that. So kitchen scales can be used for a variety of reasons.
These days, a lot of people have been intently counting their calories. To know how many calories are being consumed by a person each, it is necessary to have a clue about how much food they have eaten. Thanks to the internet, we now have a lot of information regarding calories and many different types of food and their caloric density. The easiest way to count calories is to weight the food and check the corresponding nutrition information that is either given on the packaging of the food item itself or from other sources like the internet. These are some of the reasons why a kitchen scale makes for a beneficial purchase for any one.
Pros and Cons of Kitchen Scales
As with any product or thing in the world, even the kitchen scales have their own set of pros and cons. Some of them have been listed below:
- Kitchen scales make it easier to follow a recipe. If a recipe says that you have to put in such and such amount of ingredients, then the best way to do that would be by weighing it. This minimizes the room for error and ensures that you always get the recipe right which is a great advantage because most of the time, it is difficult to follow a recipe to the T, even for professional cooks.
- Having a way to weigh the foods in the kitchen ensure that everything is as it should be. There is no excess of anything and similarly there is no deficit either.
- When you purchase fruits and vegetables it becomes easy for you to just check if the seller has given you the right amount by weighing them on your kitchen scale.
- For fitness enthusiasts, the kitchen scale is a god send. It is not only useful in counting calories but also in keeping track of what they are eating and how much they are eating in the duration a day. This makes them aware of their food habits and helps them form good food habits.
- Kitchen scales keep a check on excessive eating. Once a person becomes aware of their food habits they tend to recalibrate their habits in a way that they become healthy and viable. For anyone who has any kind of eating issue, food scales are a great addition to their lifestyle.
- They can be a little costly for most of the people. Even though they are a good investment, spending that much money on something that is not exactly a compulsory purchase can be a deterrent for a lot of people. The new and swanky digital scales that come with a lot of features are pricey when compared to the analog ones
- Once on starts using a food scale, it becomes difficult for them to not pay attention to their food consumption. Which is a good thing but in some cases it can lead to a certain kind of obsession with food. The need to measure and quantify every morsel of food that one puts in their mouth is not a great thing.
- It is not sustainable in all situations. Food scales only work when at home. During work or any other outdoor events, it is very difficult to keep a track of what you are eating in the absence of these scales.
What to look for when buying a food scale?
Before buying anything, ample research is always recommended. There is absolutely no dearth of information available to each one of us today. So getting it all from a credible source and putting all the information together in order to get the best deal available is an important part of making a purchase.
As far as kitchen scales or food scales go, there are certain things that one needs to consider before buying them. A checklist of sorts so that all the latest features are available to you when you buy a food scale. The following are some of the things one needs to consider while buying a food scale.
- A digital scale is more useful than its analogous counterpart. The reason being that the measurements are much more accurate and easy to make. So go for a digital scale.
- Most of the scales available today have this feature of conversions. This is probably the most important thing to look for while buying a food scale. The conversion feature automatically adjusts and converts different measuring units so that you can use the scale accurately no matter where you are in the world.
- The TARE function is another important aspect of a kitchen scale which has been included in all the new ones available in the market but not the older models. Basically, it nullifies the weight of the measuring container so that your measurements are always accurate and only include the food items and not the containers they are measured in.
- The maximum weight that the scale can handle should also be considered while buying one. For most home kitchens, this can be between 10 to 12 pounds. There is no need of weighing an item that weighs more than that. But for professional kitchens that might not be enough. So choosing the limit according to your requirements is important.
- And lastly, going with a trusted brand is always advisable. Since there are tons of options available in the market, it becomes important to choose wisely. Pick a brand that gives you warranty and a good customer service. So even if it costs a lot in the beginning, you can be sure that it will last long and is durable.
Uses of food scale
As mentioned above, there are a lot of uses of food scales. The fact that they simplify the process of cooking is one major benefit of kitchen scales. For any amateur cook, following the recipe is the biggest challenge. Even though they are following the recipe step by step, if the quantities are not right then there is no chance of getting the recipe right. In such scenarios, food scales come in quite handy.
Another big use of food scales is for people who are interested in improving their food habits and taking care of their health. By measuring the amount of food they are consuming each day, they are not only maintaining the caloric deficit that they need to but also improving their food habits.
All in all, kitchen scales or food scales are a good addition to our kitchens and can prove to be quite useful in the long run. Investing in a good quality scale that comes with all the features available in the market today is a great way to ensure that your kitchen is now quantifiable and your cooking is well organized.